What an amazing week I've had! Even with the damp bedding, the hot sun, and the rain earlier in the week. Here are my Fave Fives for the week:
Watching kids love music. There's just something about being in a band. If you weren't in the band in school, you may not get it. Hours in the sun, learning to hit the yard line with your right foot, learning to glide instead of walk to a spot, knowing when to move and when to stop, the push ups and running laps when you moved or talked, and all the while doing it while playing an instrument or spinning a flag.
2. Reconnecting with my college band director. It turns out he is the Director of Bands at the college YS had band camp. It was amazing that he remembered not only my face, but my name as well. That man has an amazing memory! It was great fun talking with him and going down memory lane. I was also amazed that he not only remembered the time I tossed my flag inside the hall outside of the music room and broke a light (I really thought I had enough room!) , but remembered what he said to me and my reaction. (He didn't yell...but he didn't have to to make me feel really bad; and yes, I had tears in my eyes when he told me to "take it outside"!)
3. Watching kids sit around with their guitars. They didn't need a tv, their iPods, or cell phones. A group of kids just sat on the steps and played until it was time for them to head in for the night.
4. Having 3 chaperones at band camp. Last year there were only 2 of us (both female), so it was really nice to have an extra person, and that extra person being a band daddy. It made getting the water & gatorade coolers to the field so much easier. Plus, we had someone to keep an eye on the boys when they were in the dorm. In all honesty, we had such a good time kidding around, talking, and picking on each other.
5. Having an awesome band director to lead YS' high school band. He came to us right out of undergrad school and has built the band from 18 members to 45 in just 6 years. He's young and has a good time with the kids, but they know when it's time to work and get serious. He's also learning to network and is surrounding himself with reliable music people to strengthen the band program.
6. (Okay, this is a "Baker's FFF" this week!) My girls greeting me at the door with their tails wagging, waiting to smother me with kisses. Pepper (the Jack Russell mix), anyway. Ally (schnauzer) is extremely stingy with her kisses, but when I picked her up she held her head against mine for a long time: her way of showing affection; we call them "hugs". Pepper has only stayed 2 steps behind me since I've been home. I think she's afraid I'm going to leave again!
What are your Fave 5s for the week? Link up at Susanne's and share. Don't forget to link up with Java for Follow Friday 40 and Over!