I did this a while ago, and thought it was time for another installment of things that had happened in my neck of the woods that were newsworthy. Or somebody thought they were, anyway!
1. A couple of weeks ago, in a small town about an hour, hour & a half away from here, 6 women held a man captive in a thrift store (until the police could arrive). Why? He had been watching women try on clothes through a peep hole! Way to go, women!
2. Remember the bear story: a bear was euthanized because he bit a tourist who had gotten too close to him. The tourist was trying to get a picture of the bear, and the bear ended up biting him on the foot. Well, Mr. Tourist was back in the news last week: he was being cited for "disturbing a wild animal". What did the tourist have to say about the bear dying? He said it was unfortunate, but apparently it wasn't his fault. You see, he blamed people that may or may not have fed the bear in the past for "taming" the bear. He apparently wants to be some kind of hero, because he said he was glad it was him instead of a kid. The bite didn't even draw blood, but I guess a bite is a bite. Here's the kicker: The tourist had just received his degree...in Environmental Studies Hmmmm...
3. In another town about an hour away from here, a man robbed a bank, then proceeded to crash into 3 police cruisers, tossing the evidence out in the road as he crashed. He flipped his truck a few times after he decided to cross the median to go the wrong way down the interstate. His name? He told them it was "John Doe". No police officers were injured, but "John" will be going to jail...after he gets out of the hospital!
4. In the big city close by, the city council put off voting on city residents having chickens used for laying eggs. There will be a limit to how many they can have (6), and the residents have to keep the coops clean and smell-free. Okay, let me say this: How in the world do you keep a chicken coop from smelling? The council did approve goats in a couple of parks. They will be used for eating the kudzu that apparently are taking over the parks.
5. I don't get the newspaper delivered to the house; I check online for the news. The picture that was on the online front page edition of the newspaper showed 2 local girls in front of a movie poster. Guess what the movie was? (I'm sure most of you guessed correctly!) Eclipse. One middle schooler (who was wearing a shirt with "Wolf Girl" on it) was quoted as saying, " He's awesome, because he's a real man — he don't sparkle". Really, newspaper? Could you have not used quotes and paraphrased what the girl said...with correct grammar?
So, has there been anything outside of the ordinary in your newspaper lately?
IndieFlix Review and Generous Giveaway!
7 hours ago