Busy Weekend

We had a busy weekend.  Well, a busy Saturday, anyway.  Middle Son moved into his dorm at the big University.  I planned on going with him, and actually followed him the whole 13 miles, but decided what I had in my car could wait until there weren't 15 million people trying to get to the same place he was going.  I figured it was time for the little  man to grow up and do things on his own.  Plus, I was really hot and tired (more on that in a minute) and wasn't looking forward to more sweating.  Yes, I sweat.  I do not perspire. 
I had visions of MS' moving in to be comparable to when OS moved in his dorm at the much smaller university:  drive up to the dorm, park on the side of the road, and unload.   HA!  The line just to get anywhere near the dorm was outrageously long.  MS got there around 2:30 (they could check in from 1:00-4:00), and I went back up around 5:30.  There were still a lot of people moving in, but honestly, I was pretty impressed with how organized campus security was.  There was still a line, but it was moving, and once you got up to the dorm, you were directed to either the side of the road  or a parking space.  I ended up getting a parking space right in front of the dorm!  I told the security guy that I could kiss him.  Of course that didn't embarrass MS one bit, and he didn't tell me "no"  at all.  
So, up we went to the 10th floor.  Thank God for Elisha Otis!  MS and his roomie said that they discovered a way to get into the elevator when they were moving in:  take the stairs to the 2nd floor, catch the elevator on the way down to the 1st floor, and you have plenty of room!  Geniuses, aren't they?   

I went up to their room, (which, by the way, is much smaller than the picture on the website made it look, but it's still a decent size as far as dorms go!) got out MS' "make friends" brownies, and met his suite-mate's parents.  Picture this:  MS' room- nothing unpacked, boxes everywhere.  Suitemate's room- everything in it's place, dad putting a curtain (yes, a curtain) on a curtain rod, and mom getting ready to put contact paper on the shelves.  I wonder how awful they thought we were that we didn't come with the boys to move in!  I think roomie's dad may have helped him, though, but he sure didn't stick around to unpack and hang curtains!  I forgot my camera in the car, so I don't have an actual picture of MS' room.  This completely devastated MS who may have let a "Good" slip out. So, MS seems happy; he starts classes on Wednesday.
 The day started out extremely early:  the band had a car wash/rummage sale and YS & I had to be there at 7:00.  That is entirely way too early for a Saturday.  I somehow got stuck with the car wash part, which meant being in the sun until after noon.  The kids seemed to have a good time.  We always have one or two who know no shame have an amazing amount of self-confidence.  Those students (usually boys) dress up in wacky clothes that they found in the yard sale portion and stand on the street trying to get people to come in to the sale.  And here he is:
He had a few cars stop and just give him a donation.  Whatever works!  We have a great group of kids  who are also hard workers and have a good time together.  And, we get to do this all over again in a few weeks!
I'm still trying to get back into the swing of my school schedule.  Last week was my first week to see the kids.  It's been a couple of weeks of probing to see exactly where they all are in terms of their speech/language development, and trying to make plans on what they need to work on.  And then hopefully I'll have some time to catch up on what everybody in the blogging world is doing!

12 comments:

  1. BUSY is certainly the word!

    The kid in the...outfit...gotta give it to him for creativity!

    We had a similar experience when our oldest went off to college - decided to let her do things her way - and of course, the other parents had Lysol, contact paper, curtains, toilet brushes, etc.

    We made a quick trip tp Walmart so we wouldn't be totally mortified.

    Have a great, and less busy, week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my own first day at what I assume is the same big university you describe. That dorm looks very familiar. I dropped my new dorm room key as I was walking on to the elevator and it fell through that little crack between the elevator and the floor. It fell straight down the elevator shaft to the floor of the subbasement several floors below. For a while, I was known as the studid freshman who caused the elevators to be out of service during move-in time. I mortified myself that day. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you showed up and met the other parents! I don't know about you, but Mom and Dad never helped me move in, or even saw my dorms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moving into dorms brings back so many memories for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy? yes.
    Love the elevator idea, I never could have thought that deeply about it. I bet the roommate is either an only child or the first born. Just sayin'.
    I sense a bit of sarcasm in here with your boys...no camera, no kissing the guards. :)

    ps. I sweat like a man as well, hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An A for effort for the young kid in the outfit!

    Sounds like a margarita may be calling your name:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i work at big university where your son is attending....if he needs anything and you can't get here for some reason, let me know! we bloggers gotta stick together! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should hear hubs talk about laying carpet. Yes, he has laid carpet in a dorm room. He says he will never do that again : )

    Love the industrious kid in the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the picture...the kid has guts! I found your blog through a comment you left somewhere, I just can't remember where! Anyway, I enjoyed my visit. I also am intrigued by your location...the Smoky Mtns. are one of my (& hubby) favorite places to visit & go camping. Cades Cove is my favorite and we'll be there in a few weeks. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. whoa! That is busy! That is a lot of stuff going on with you! And the photo is a crack up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Busy is right! And I giggled when I saw that you started a fall break countdown. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't blame for waiting to go to the dorm.it's a big building. i wonder if anyone will get some sleep. take care. Rose

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts