Random Dozen 25 August


Time again for Random Dozen!  YAY, Linda!  Some of these are hard...they're making me think this week!

1. What is your favorite Mexican dish?
When we go out I usually just get a chicken burrito.  There is a new Mexican restaurant in town, and I had a fajita quesadilla...out of this world!  The margaritas were most excellent, too!

2. When you were a kid, did you get started on your homework right away after school, or did you procrastinate?
My parents believed in working first, then playing, which is what I did. 

3. What is your favorite store for home furnishings?
I really, really like Hobby Lobby for the finishing touches.  I could spend hours in there, dreaming.
For big furnishings, I don't really have a favorite.  We bought some furniture from this guy when we moved into our house 6 years ago:

4. When you were young, did you like school lunches?
I loved school lunches, especially since I very rarely (like once in a blue moon!) got to buy my lunch.  9 siblings, remember?  Although there were "only" 9 of us in school at one time.

5. Is religion a crutch?
This question is waaaay too deep for me right now!

6. In your region, what is the "big" (most popular in the community or state) high school sport?
Hmmmm...I wonder how many readers/followers out there  would be able to answer this question for me?  (HA!)  Definitely football.  Last year the high school tied our rival high school for the most ever state championships.  We're a 3A school, and our rival is a 6A.  The high school I attended has won state championships in A, AA, and AAA classes.  
Here's a picture of the "bling" that's in our house:
(Photo by Saul Young)
But, what's even more amazing than those rings, is the coach who led the team to 4 of those.  He believes in building the boy into a man.  He has kicked players off of the team who were expected to play major roles on the team for doing things they should know better.  During the football game last Friday, one of our players was ejected for getting in a scuffle (I wasn't there so I 'm not sure exactly what happened) with a player from the other team.  TSSAA says that if a player is ejected, he can not play the next game.  The head coach said that the player may be out for more than one game...that's not acceptable for a player on his team.  I also heard that during a scrimmage, a member of the opponent team called one of our players a cuss word.  Our  player cussed back at him, and the head coach made our player go to the opponent and apologize.  OS & MS were both very fortunate to have had that man help mold them into young men.  It's going to be interesting to see if the team can get their 7th ring in as many years, especially since there's not one of our boys on the team!  We've been here for 6 years, and they have 6 rings.

7. Do you consider yourself rich?
Monetarily:  definitely not.  But, I have my health, and my boys are all healthy and have grown/are growing into nice young men.  So, in that aspect, most definitely! 

8. Which of these would you have the best chance for success in administering:
A) CPR
B) Heimlich Maneuver
C) Changing a flat tire
I've been trained in CPR, but would totally freak out if I ever had to do it.  I have no idea how to change a flat tire, unless it would be to pick up my cell and call my insurance to have someone come out and change it!  I think I could do a Heimlich Maneuver if I had to, so I'm going with "B"....final answer.

9. Which dance would you prefer to learn & why:
A) Salsa
B) Hip Hop
C) Waltz
D) Swing
C)  Waltz.  It's so graceful, and I actually kinda learned how to do it when I was in Tx. at a dance in West, Tx.  Of course, it was to country music, so I'm not sure it that would really count!

10. What's the worst news you've ever delivered to someone?
I don't know that I've ever had to deliver bad news to anyone, thank goodness! 

11. Name something you learned in college that had nothing to do with classes or academics.
Oh, geez!  How to play beer pong?  Quarters?  Do I need to go on?
On the serious side, I did learn that it's okay to not be dependent on someone.  I learned that it's okay to break ties that may be detrimental to your future.

12. New variation on an old question: If there's a song in your head that just won't get out, what is your favorite (or most repeated) line in that song? 
Right now I have the song "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield going through my mind.  Here are the lines that are running around:

"Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips"



And now for your listening enjoyment, the whole song if you're bored and want to hear it!

16 comments:

  1. WOW....loved the championship rings. Very impressive. Our school has one...in ohhhh 50 years maybe. We have always been the bridesmaid never the bride. Loved the song....and you and I are a lot a like...parents - play after work. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think waltzing is incredibly graceful, although it wouldn't be if I were doing it! And I love Hobby Lobby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great answers. Outstanding football record. Nice rings! :) Good on the coach. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answers! Love the photo of that "bling". Not many families can boast that record--and the coach, wow, too bad we can't clone him. LOL

    I totally forgot about Hobby Lobby, but I love that store, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, one of your sons learned a lesson about college this week huh!!
    I always have a margarita as an appetizer and dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all that football bling!

    I made a graduation video for daughter1 to that song and I sang it for months afterwards. I guess now I'll probably be singing it again today : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute Mary!
    I am so impressed with your football coach, we need a LOT more men like him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed visiting and reading your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beer pong! That cost allot of money to learn. No news is good news, you have been blessed and I pray it stays that way for you.
    I saw a few football answers but not allot. Hope your having a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the Hob Lob! I could spend hours there too. On another note...can you believe the preview for the NJ housewife reunion? Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ahh mexican...now I'm HUNGRY!! I especially liked the answers on what you learned in college. very profound!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the waltz and a country waltz counts :) I took a few ballroom classes and learned it... plus a few basic waltzes on ice during my ice dance lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good answers. Football is also big here and Hubby loves it. He talks about it all the time. My kid even owns a football.
    I love the countdown to fall break. Fall is the best season!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are indeed to have had such great coaching for your sons. Last night at a scrimmage one of our stars was not suited up. Monday night he had gotten into trouble for disrespect. The coach told all of them that he would rather have a season of 0-8 than allow a player to play who didn't agree to the rules regarding respect and grades. And this is 8th grade! I LOVE that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to say that I love Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield. The lyrics are so powerful and show us that WE have the power to decide where we want our life to go. We are not controlled by others around us, each day is a new day and we should embrace it to the fullest.
    Now if I could remind myslef to live this way each day!
    Bernice
    http://bernicewood.wordpress.com/2010/08/27/the-cure-for-the-american-dream/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it when coaches and teachers go the extra mile to teach more than what the "job" requires. Those are the lessons that leave lasting impressions.

    Of course, wearing rings like those also leaves an impression! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts