Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. Aloha! On August 21, 1959 Hawaii officially became a US state. Have you ever been? Upon arrival would you prefer an orchid or a hibiscus to tuck behind your ear?
I've never been, and it's not high on my "places to visit" list.  I'll take a hibiscus, though!

2. Since we're talking tropical...what's your favorite food or beverage made with pineapple?
I like pineapple straight up, but if I had to pick one (which I'm sure Joyce is expecting), a fruity cocktail highlighting the pineapple will do just fine!

3. Do you believe in soul mates? Explain.
If you're talking about having a person who knows what you're thinking and feeling without you having to say anything, then yes.  I do believe some couples have that connection.

4. Share a memory about the house you grew up in.
Oh, so many memories to choose from!  My parents still live in the house where we grew up.  We moved into that house when I was 9 months old; before that we lived in a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom house that is actually around the corner from where I now live.  I'm the 8th child, so I'm sure it was just a tad bit crowded.  
I guess I'll go with the time that my oldest sister was going to have a party (I think it was her, anyway), and my sister Tina & I somehow volunteered to clean up the "Rec Room".  My parents were out for the night, and our oldest sister was babysitting.  Tina had to go to the bathroom, and since we were always scared to be down there by ourselves, we went together.  The light switch is behind the door, so Tina would push the door back to make sure no one was back there.  So...she pushed, but the door wouldn't go back all the way, so she turns around and starts screaming as she's running upstairs, and what do I do?  I go back into the rec room, push the door closed, and start screaming.  (I must've only been around 8 or 9, but I must've thought I was really strong to keep someone from busting through the door!)  My sister comes out of the upstairs bathroom pulling up her pants, and calls our next door neighbor, who comes over with his shotgun.  As it turns out, my 2nd oldest sister had left her tennis shoe behind the bathroom door, keeping it from opening all the way.  Oh, and all this happened on a Friday the 13th.

5. Are you comfortable with silence?
No.  Growing up in a household with 10 kids, there wasn't much silence to be had.  I have to have some noise on at all time...the tv or the radio.

6. You spot a giant spider on your bedroom wall...what's your next move? (all spiders are giant, right?)
Swat that dang thing!

7. My idea of fun does NOT include ______________.
My idea of fun does NOT include sitting in a high school football stadium with 10-15 thousand (yes, THOUSAND) people on a warm Sunday afternoon.  The big rivalry game between Small Town High and Rival High will be played at 12:00 this Sunday.  You may or may not be able to catch it on national tv.  AND, you may or may not be able to catch a glimpse of YS if they happen to show the band.
Personally, I think this rivalry game is getting WAAAAY out of hand.  Rival School is about 4 times larger than Small Town, and it's ridiculous that people will start lining up at the gate 4-5 hours before the gate opens (which is 2 hours before kick-off) just so they can get a seat.  Even the band has to get there early or else people will take their seats.  And when it's hot, it's HOT.  I've seen mothers bring their infant/toddler babies to the game and get there that early, so by the start of the game, the little ones are cranky and tired already.  Ridiculous.  I will be sitting in my living room watching.  I feel a little bad that I won't be there to watch YS, but I'll make it up by going to band contests.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
We've had some sadness here in the Small Town.  One of our police officers passed away on Saturday morning at the age of 45 of an apparent heart attack.  His daughter graduated with MS.  He used to work the football games, so for most of them he would end up by the concession stand at some point of the night and we would chat.  He was very well liked in the community, and will be missed.  He and his daughter were extremely close; he was divorced and she lived with him when she was in school.  I can only imagine how alone she must feel, being an only child and being so close to him.  He will be laid to rest this morning.

12 comments:

  1. That is sad...sorry for the loss of your friend.

    I love that basement story. It reminds me of the time my sister and I started a small fire in our kitchen. I think I might blog about that...it is an often re-told tale in our house : )

    I'm sure small town is in a frenzy. Hubs parents are involved in something with their church which I think is setting up big tvs for people to come watch it all together. I hope the game lives up to the hype!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so sad when someone that young dies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the bathroom incident! Wasn't I brave to go get the neighbor instead of just looking behind the door. NOT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your rec room story. Do folks have rec rooms any more? It must have been so much fun growing up in a big family like that! Prayers for your community and for that young girl. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness... I've heard of so many heart attacks lately. What is going on?!??!!

    Glad to see I'm not alone... seems like everyone else is fine with silence. I thought I was the only LOUD LOVING one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing the lengths that some people will go to over sports! I agree, it's gotten too crazy.

    Loved your childhood memories, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great and funny story about the bathroom door! Love the story. I'm so sorry about the police officer. I'm married to a retired police officer and I know how hard it is to send them off to work every day. His daughter must feel so terribly alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the shoe behind the door story! We had a rec room too! My brother told us all to hit the deck once when our parents were gone because there was a man at the window. We were all scared to death! Every time my brother stood up the man was still there. We laugh now because it was his reflection but, at the time, it really wasn't funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's interesting how many of us chose a memory of being scared to share about our family homes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry for your loss and your town's loss and especially the daughter's loss.

    I'm with you on the pineapple; straight chunks of fresh pineapple are the best, but I was thinking about the pineapple shakes at Dairy Queen; mmm those are heavenly too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would enjoy a trip to Hawaii and I will eat my pineapple straight up also! So sorry about the police officer who passed away. I will keep his family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sad to hear about your town's loss! So sad!!

    I didn't realize you came from such a large family! I'm an only child and always envied larger families. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts