Zodiac

If you're looking for the Wednesday Hodgepodge, click HERE.


You may be wondering what in the world "Zodiac" has to do with the Great Smoky Mountains.  As I was looking over things for previous posts, I came across the fact that the farmers in the mountains used to use the zodiac and the phases of the moon to know when to plant their crops.
According to the National Park Service website, "each of the 12 astrological signs is associated with a part of the body and each day of the month is dominated by one of the signs."  For example:  Scorpio, Pisces, Taurus, and Cancer (signs associated with the neck, loins, feet, or breast) indicated that planting should occur.
I've heard that there are certain times when you should get your hair cut, and supposedly it works for cutting the lawn as well.  I know it sounds strange, but there are people out there who swear by it.

I can't believe how easy this challenge turned out to be!  Thank you for joining me on this journey to areas of "my mountains":  The Great Smoky Mountains National Park.    

2 comments:

  1. That is interesting about the zodiac; I didn't know that. WTG for finishing the challenge; you did great with it! I did enjoy with the posts I read learning about the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. As I probably won't ever get there, I'm glad I got to see it through your eyes so to speak :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to many great national parks in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming, but never had the chance to visit Great Smoky Mountains. Interestingly, the Apalachians have some relations to mountains on my side of the Atlantic, since they were all parts of the Caledonian mountain range some 400 million years ago, long before the Atlantic ocean opened >:)

    Cold As Heaven

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts