{State of the Kitchen} Part 14: Same Ol' Same Ol'

Yep, this is what my kitchen still looks like. The missing piece arrived at my house on Friday, and I promptly texted the contractor to let him know. He said he would check with CG2 to see if he could come out one day next week (which is this week) to finish up. It is now 8:41 on Wednesday night, and I haven't had a text or a cabinet guy.
I called the countertop people on Tuesday to find out when they would be ready to make my appointment. The lady said that I was the next person on their list to call (isn't that a coincidence...yeah, like that's likely), and she made my appointment for Monday afternoon. I texted the contractor to let him know, because they have to come out and remove the temporary sink so the real sink can be installed. It's now 8:43 on Wed. night and I haven't received a text or call.
I forwarded the same text to the contractor (so he would have it again) as well as the Home Depot store manager. Yep, 8:44 pm on Wed. and no response.
I emailed the owner of the contract company, the manager at Home Depot, and the Kitchen Designer (who probably isn't working today) and included a screenshot of the texts from last Friday through today. Which means they are seeing 3 texts: 2 from me & 1 from the contractor saying he would get back with me.
I have a huge concern that the countertop people are going to show up on Monday to install my countertops and won't be able to because of the contract company. Then there's the concern about the strip in the ceiling (which I'm pretty sure we're going to have to fix on our own) and the piece of dishwasher that's missing.
Something has gone very right lately in the way of construction, but it has nothing to do with the kitchen. Last week I posted a picture of the wall that had finally given way and fallen.
The wall that finally gave way. It was cracked when we bought the house, so we knew it was just a matter of time.
I got in touch with a brick mason we know, and he came over fairly quickly to look at it and give us a quote. I had the quote that night, and CH & I discussed whether we wanted another wall put up, or if we just wanted the brick repaired. We decided to go ahead with the wall.
A footer was poured around the wall.
This guy is a very hard worker and wants to make sure he does things correctly. What a breath of fresh air after what we've been through with the kitchen!
Cement block wall to support the brick wall.
I think it looks great, and he said he wasn't quite done yet. He's coming back this morning to finish up and clean up.
The brick doesn't match exactly, but the house brick is no longer made. The brick on the wall that fell didn't match exactly, either, which makes me think it was added after the house was built.
It looks much better than the original wall!
This guy has pride in his work, and is extremely professional. Like a said...a breath of fresh air!






7 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I hope you got a text or call! On the bright side, the brick looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When did the kitchen project begin?It's looking good! laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Demo was done on June 5th. We're in Week 11. Looks like it's going to take them 12 weeks to do the whole thing.

      Delete
  3. I hope your next post will tell us that SOMEONE got back to you and that your counter tops can be installed on Monday, as planned. The outside wall looks great and the brick blends well. Too bad he couldn't do the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking that same thing when I got home and saw the completely finished wall! :)
      The contractor texted mid-morning to ask about someone being home Monday around 11:00 so they can come in, get the boards off the cabinets & take the temporary sink out. They'll have to come back on Wed. to hook the new sink up. No mention of when the remaining trim & crown molding is going to be put on. Also, no reply email from anyone.

      Delete
  4. Too bad your brick guy can't do the kitchen for you. I can't believe how much trouble this has been. I mean, I knew there would be trouble but this seems like overkill even for a construction project. I sure hope they all know that it will be all of us along with you who spreads this story around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the kitchen not being done!!! I can't believe that they are not responding to your messages. Your wall looks great and happy that it went smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts