Cabin Fever? Heck No!

Snow days, snow days...when will it end?  Luckily, the school system I work for has 11 snow days built in to the calendar.  Each school day is extended by 15 minutes, giving us those days.  We've already used up 7, and it's only the middle of January.  I sure do hope the rest of winter is mild, but it doesn't look like it will be.
We've had a casualty from the snow.
Apparently when the snow plow came through on Monday, he got enough of our mailbox to make it lean.  I called the "city" yesterday, but I haven't heard what they're going to do about it.  They probably have a lot more pressing things to deal with right now.  (CH told me that he had tried to stand it back up before he left for work yesterday morning.)
I had a pretty productive day on Tuesday.  CH worked from home, so I tried to stay busy to stay out of his way.  So, I spent some time on the treadmill.  Then, I cleaned up our bathroom.  There is a company who provides free online CEUs, so I did one of those.  My school system says we have to have so many inservice hours, but they don't provide all of them.  It's up to each employee to make sure that we have extra hours on our own.  And, here's the kicker:  if you go to a conference but it's on a regular school day, it doesn't count as your extra inservice hours.  You can take a personal day and it will, but if you take a professional day, it won't.  I'm not sure I understand the logic in that; when they ask me I'll be sure to tell them!
Back to my day.  I tackled the pantry.  One side of it, anyway.  I feel so much better when the pantry is organized!

Yesterday I walked down to my parents' house.  I stopped in my next-door-neighbor's driveway to take a picture of my house from a different angle.  I was standing on ice, and, as I took off my glove, down I went.  At least I gave the people in the cars that were coming something to laugh at!  My parents live just down the side-street, and when I looked down their street, I thought it would be better to tackle the trail in the park instead.  I don't think that was the right decision, because I slid a couple of times, but the scenery was worth it.

Mom needed a picture scanned to send to one of my cousins' wife, and, apparently, they have no idea how to use their scanner.  She made me some hot Friendship Tea and daddy cracked some pecans for me while I worked on the picture.  (I love how my parents take care of me, no matter how old I am!)  I also helped mom order something online that she couldn't figure out.  (Guess the taking care part works both ways!)  After a short visit, I headed back up the hill to my house.  One of the houses had this sweet snowman in their front yard:

Back inside, I did another CEU online.  (I did mention they're free, right?)  I drank a cup of Via coffee while I was watching the presentation.  There may have been a splash of Bailey's involved in it.  (Now that's the way to do CEUs!)  Then, I was going to settle down with a book, but decided to dust in the bedroom.  While I did that, I told YS & FES they needed to clean their bathroom.  That ended up being a little more time consuming than I thought it was going to be:  apparently FES had never cleaned a bathtub, and had no idea how to do it.  I'm not sure if he thought I was going to do it for him if he told me he didn't know how to do it, but he was in for a big surprise.  I got everything out for him and gave him instructions.  And, he only messed up the shower door in the process; it got off track.    As I was dusting, I ran across a couple of pictures of YS' t-ball days that I just had to scan:

I could get used to not working but still getting paid.  All good things must come to an end.  We'll just see when.

16 comments:

  1. I love not working and still getting paid as well. Sadly, we've had no snow days as of yet. :( Maybe someday.

    Enjoy.

    Your day yesterday sounds wonderful--if you take out the falling part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're not too sore after taking a dive!! And glad you didnt land on that camera!!! That'd be REALLY bad!!!!

    Wanna come clean my pantry? When it snows, I EAT everything in my pantry... not good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your snow pics! Sorry about the boom boom fall, hopefully you are ok. I need to tackle my pantry...but since I am no longer bound to the cabin it'll have to wait until the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think out of your entire post, I enjoyed the part about being able to visit your folks the best. I sooo wish my mother and in-laws lived "just down the street". I know. I may be singing a different tune if I lived close to them all the time. But my kids would love it ALL the time:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading about your day!! I giggled a bit about your slips on the ice. I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself!

    The Bailey's thing...me thinks I would have indulged too!!!

    And as far as your school district's policy...that is bogus! Sometimes I think that those who work in education are some of the dumbest people ever!! Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you've had a lot of snow days already!

    I wish we could just get ONE at the college I work for. Come on, just one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your snow pictures. They were gorgeous. We don't have built in weather days....so we will have to make up Monday on Feb. 16th when we were supposed to have a planning day....and then add the planning day to the end of the year. Although...i do think the idea of adding time to the day til it is made up is not a bad idea. I may share that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids will be out for the fifth day in a row tomorrow (and all we got was less than one inch of ice and snow!) It will be their 7th day out because of snow.

    I'm just ready for them to get back to school so I can have the house back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So my school system isn't the only one who defies reason? We can get CLUs on a professional leave days, though.

    Enjoy your time off! Sounds like you're spending it well. We haven't seen the first flake yet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That policy about having to take personal days to get inservice credit must be a TN thing because our system is the same way...which is why I get most of my inservice taken care of in the summer.

    Great pictures!

    What's the address to those free CEUs or are they only special ed/speech?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't tell you how many mailboxes we have gone through.....and yours is still standing. :)
    I hope your weekend is better and you guys can chill out and enjoy.
    Take care, Suz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I tell you that I am so jealous? All the way in Houston and not one flake. I love your blog. I am not sure why I don't visit more often. Your day sounded delightful. I wish my mom was close by. I also hope you are not too sore in morning. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't really get the logic because it's a professional day. Oi...sometimes I think public schools lose sight of the end objective. They want teachers to continue their ed? They do? But it doesn't count unless it's done on their own time?

    I've slipped twice on our driveway, a slow slide so no injury but embarrassing all the same. I don't think anyone saw me. Our front steps look like a rink...I threw salt down this morning but hopefully nobody needs to knock on my front door. yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to get those classes done and I am sure the Bailey's helped! So sorry you fell outside, ouch! My daughter with her OCD does a great job on my pantry and I really do appreciate it. How awesome to be so close to your parents. Sorry about the mailbox :( Hope your having a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself when you fell! I loved reading about your visit with your parents. It made me miss my Daddy. How wonderful that you have yours close by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I rarely get cabin fever. In fact, the weather is often a good excuse to 'have' to stay home. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts