Snow Night

This is my most favorite time of a snow day:
Nighttime.  All of the kids are in from sledding, there are tracks in the snow, and everything is still.  There are very few cars on the road because of ice after dark.  The house is warm and cozy, and the outside lights are shining in the snow.  The hot chocolate has been drunk and the snow clothes are hanging up to dry, ready to go tomorrow.  When school has already been called off for the next day, it's like a weekend during the week.  No worries about having to get up early.
And, maybe the best part about having a snow day on 11 January is that it's the day after the National Championship Game!  Why do they do that, anyway?  Why not have it on a Saturday night so people don't have to worry about getting up for work the next day?  I don't know about other football fans, but by the time the championship comes around, I'm just about over the bowl games.  The game was everything a National Championship Game should be:  the refs let them play and didn't get involved, the score went back and forth through the game, and someone won in the last couple of seconds.  What a game!  And, the best thing:  An SEC team won, and not just any SEC team, one that I like!  Hey, if the Vols couldn't be there, Auburn would be my 2nd choice!

14 comments:

  1. I agree, I'm definitely over it by the time the game comes, and we've been in it a couple of times. It's just too long of a lag, especially for the Big Ten which is done in November.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the poor idea of having the National Championship game on a weekday night. But no one asked us, did they? I am very tired today but don't have the luxury of a snow day for recovery. Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a good game and I'm happy to see an SEC team win. Enjoy your snow day...its headed here tonite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading your description of a snowy evening at home.....so cozy. *sigh*
    I didn't watch the national championship game, though I am thankful the Buckeyes won the Sugar Bowl after all the drama of the week preceding it. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. My team isn't doing much of anything, so I'm not in a football mood.

    And I'm over winter. Seriously, seriously over it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even realize the championship game was on last night. Oops.

    Enjoy your snow day. I wish we had one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WAR EAGLE! It was great to have 2 Alabama teams win back to back and have the Heimann Trophy winners too. My school is in session...but I am not there...the roads between Roanoke and Alex City were hazardous and they were listed as travel at your own risk. I made it as far as Roanoke downtown, slid twice, called in and headed back to the house. It was nerve wracking I can assure you...so I am home and they have a sub for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We still have snow on the ground. They have now resorted to shoveling the "elderly" neighbors snow into a large trash can and hauling it back to complete their fort. Intuitive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We didn't get to see the game but I heard it was a good one. I'm glad that it went to an SEC team too! Not my favorite Tigers, but that's okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree with you on evening being the best part of these days! (And I love those calls that come the night before, too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You still have football??? Or maybe our team just never gets this far....
    love seeing the snow at night, looks very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I agree with everything yiu said... from the clothes hanging to Tennessee football. I will have to say, my older girls have done some late night sledding and it is fun too, everying is refrozen and slick as glass.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I dislike Auburn, just saying. Snow nights are nice. Hope you get some snow days out of the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved your take on the favorite time of day when there is snow. I want snow. We didn't get any, but this is the usual way here.

    I know what you mean about the football---Super Bowl is always on a Sunday. Always.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts