Wednesday Hodgepodge: Snowy Edition


Joyce gives us a few questions to ponder every Tuesday so we can post our answers, link back to her, and see how everybody else answered on Wednesday.

1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to mis-use, over-use or just general uselessness and they receive over 1000 nominations. Here are the fourteen words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2011-viral, epic, fail, wow factor, a-ha moment, back story, BFF, man up, refudiate, Mama Grizzlies, The American People, facebook/google when used as verbs, I'm just sayin', and Live life to the fullest.

What word or phrase would you like to see banished from our everyday vocabulary in 2011? You can choose one from the 'official list' or you can get creative and come up with your own. 
How about the "F" word.  I absolutely loathe that word.  Or, how about "My bad"?  Why do people say that?  Is it because they're so lazy they can't say, "I'm sorry.  I made a mistake."?  

2. Do you consider opportunity something that comes to you or something you create for yourself?
I think it's a little bit of both, depending on the situation.  I do believe in "being at the right place at the right time", but I also believe that it's God's hand.

3. Since we're all eating healthy this month, ahem, what's included in your favorite salad? Is there dressing?
Fried chicken (so much for healthy, huh?), lettuce, tomato, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, red onion, mushrooms, cheese, and, to top it off, honey mustard dressing.

4. The fourth Monday in January is said to be Blue Monday...aka the most depressing day of the year. The date was calculated using many factors including weather, debt level, time since Christmas, time since we've failed at our new year resolutions, low motivation and feeling a need to take action. Do you get the blues this time of year and if so what is something you do to lift your spirits?
Nah, I like winter.

5. Do you wear a watch? Any other everyday jewelry essentials? 
No, I don't wear a watch.  I always, always have my diamond studs in the top hole of my ears.  Sometimes I switch out the bottom earrings, depends on how lazy I'm being!  I also always wear my wedding rings...both of them.  I have a band that I got when I got married that I wear on my right hand, and the set that CH got me a few years later on my left hand.

6. What is something useful you learned in high school? 
I learned some Spanish that actually comes in useful at work every now and then.  I guess I should say that I began to learn Spanish; it was my minor in college, so high school was just the beginning!

7. Do you use an accountant when completing and filing your income tax returns or do you attempt to muddle through all by yourself?
You'd have to ask CH; he takes care of that stuff.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
Today is Day 3 of our snow vacation.  We had 4 1/2 inches Sunday night, and it has snowed on and off since.  I don't foresee the school district where I work having school until Friday, if then, since it's suppose to not get above freezing until this weekend.  The kids go an extra 15 minutes every day, so there are some snow days built in.  I think we have 6 or 7 days built in.  After that, I don't know if we'll have to start making them up.  In SC, the legislature would forgive some days that we couldn't make up, but I'm not sure what Tn. does.  Looks like we're going to find out
One of my sisters sent this e-mail to me.  I thought it was very fitting with all of the snow!
"I just got off the phone with a friend.
She said that since early last night the snow has been falling and is nearly knee high and is still falling. The temperature is dropping  and some frozen rain and wind is increasing.  Her husband has done nothing but look through the living room window. 
She says that if it gets much worse, she may have to let him in."
 

21 comments:

  1. That email totally cracked me up! Thanks for a great smile this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your answers. Hope you don't have to go to school in the summer to make up the days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha-loved that email! Daughter2 is on day 3 of no classes at uni. My oldest said the roads are still just a sheet of ice. Even the highways...really really hoping she does not go into work today! And hubs is making his way home from Mexico via Texas and airports and snow don't mix. See, I can worry about weather in multiple states : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL *with tears in eyes*...oh that is TOO funny! I will have to pass that e-mail along. Heehee! Thanks for making me smile today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you on the F word--I hate it!

    Hopefully, you won't have to make up the snowdays.

    Very funny email!

    Stay warm and dry :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you on the F word--I hate it!

    Hopefully, you won't have to make up the snowdays.

    Very funny email!

    Stay warm and dry :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We got the same snow in GA.
    Today makes day #3 of no school.
    I have been wondering if the kids will have to make these days up.
    I think they only have to make up so many then the rest are forgiven.
    If this turns out to be a really bad winter I'd hate to see the kids go to school through June.

    Stay safe and warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I can't stand "my bad" either. My niece and nephew use to wear that out and drive me crazy with it.

    Wish I enjoyed the winter weather more but it is just "not my thing." We are only at 25 degrees today and I am just miserable, but at least the sun is shining.

    Love that email, made me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Couldn't agree more with the words you don't like! Hello.
    I so often wish I knew how to speak Spanish. It would be so useful in our area as we do have alot of spanish-speaking residents.
    And I'm seeing that alot of husbands take care of the taxes in their households. :-) It as always my responsibility until I my friend started doing them....thankfully.
    Loved, loved, loved the email at the end!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your answers. We have a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I already knew what I was going to write when I read your post and thought it was funny that I was going to say the same thing for 1 and 2. Are we related?

    Love the email! I didn't get it...guess you really are her favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved that email! Someone sent it to me and it made my day. I'm with you on the "F" word. It seems like I'm hearing it more and more. I am struggling with making good choices today.....I will take one of your salads, please! I'm normally feeling depressed this time of year in the thoughts that the heat and humidity of summer is on my doorstep. This year is different. I'm feeling happy and hopeful and actually looking forward to spring and summer thanks to the 14+ inches we have received in Narnia over the last 24hours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh...Honey Mustard Dressing...YUM!!!!!

    Enjoy your snowcation!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This hodgepodge is great! I agree with you about the F word and the expression "my bad." PLEASE! Just say it's your fault. Glad to know your little bit of Spanish helped you. My parents insisted I take Latin in high school and, let's just say, I don't have too many occasions to use it! Amazing that you have had so many snow days but I guess the rest of country doesn't have the snow equipment removal stuff needed to get things up and running. We had two feet fall today so school was cancelled but I'm pretty sure it will be open tomorrow with just a 2 hour delay in the morning. I might have to try this hodgepodge thing next week! In the mean time, stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the email and your salad sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mary, my grands love being out of school for all of the snow and ice..no mail and no stores open..my daughter is getting tired of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was excited when we woke up to 6+ inches of snow Monday morning but I am now over the snowcation. I even went back to work today. The hubby is in major pain because he's been home dealing witht he rowdy kiddos...aww poor guy! haha

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with you on the number one answer...and loved the email. I laughed out loud. Got to run...my kids have entered the classroom...sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I can think of plenty of words that should have been on that list. Looking at your spring break countdown... hard to believe it is that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Better late then never! I am so behind in my reading. Anyway the F word is a good one, if only we good get rid of it! My Bad is a cheap way to say I'm sorry, almost like joking about it. I always wear a watch when I go out. My diamond studs are always in with a tiny white gold hoop in the other hole!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish I would have paid more attention in Spanish class - Since then I've moved to Texas where it is used a little more.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts