Misc. Monday

You've gotta love 4 day weekends! CH had Friday off, too, so we enjoyed the day just kicking around the house. MS was suppose to call as soon as he woke up so I could go and pick him up. I called his cell phone, which went right to voicemail. I finally got in touch with him through Facebook at 4:00; he said that he had just woke up. Oh, to be a college student! He said that he went to bed around 2:00 a.m. after playing video games, and he has a blanket over his window, so he had no idea what time it was. Amazing. I was going crazy because I couldn't get in touch with him.
Saturday I got involved watching "Downton Abbey". It's part of the "Masterpiece Classics" on PBS, but I watched it on the Instant Netflix. The first season is 7 episodes; when I googled it, I found out that filming on Season 2 started in March, 2011. I tend to get a bit obsessive with series: The Tudors, Pillars of the Earth, Dexter, and now Downton Abbey. At first I thought maybe it was a remake of "Upstairs, Downstairs", but then found out that there is a remake already out. The 1st episode begins as the Titanic has sunk, and one of the passengers was the fiance of Earl Crawley's oldest daughter, Mary. The Earl's wife is an American; when they married, the Earl's father had her sign a contract that if she failed to produce a son, the estate (Downton Abbey) would be inherited by the next closest male relative. This is where Matthew Crawley comes in: He is the 3rd cousin twice removed of the Earl. There's back-biting of sisters (between Mary and Edith-daughter #2) and of servants. There's the youngest daughter (Sybil) who gets involved with Women's Rights. There are the servants with things going on in their own lives and their secrets. I hope I don't forget to watch when it comes back on, because it's very good.
Easter Sunday morning we went to Mass. I have to admit, it was a little odd. I've never been to Easter Mass where the priest sprinkled holy water just on a section of the congregation. Usually the priest will walk all around the entire church, even in the "overflow" section for the "latecomers". It was very different. We had a nice rest of the day; my parents came up for Easter Dinner. The only thing that was missing was OS: he came in last weekend, and was going to come in this weekend but had some things to work on at school. I really missed having him home.
Today is an "optional" work day at school. That is something I've had to get used to: I've worked in 6 school systems, and this the first one that had "optional" work days. Apparently this is how it works: you can do 12 professional development hours on your own and get a couple of days off during the year. Next year we have 3 days (or 18 hours) we can do on our own and get 3 days during the year off that have been designated as professional development days.
Since I had the day off, I went to Daily Mass. It really is nice to start your day off in church, regardless of your religious affiliation. Then, it was back home to more laundry. On the list today: rugs and sheets. I love that you can put some of the rugs in the washing machine! It's so easy to just throw them in and go about your business.
We only have 3 more Mondays until Summer Break!

11 comments:

  1. And the rugs feel all nice and soft and clean when they come out! I love that so much. I can't believe you only have three more Mondays until summer break! Where has this year gone? It seems like it was only yesterday that you were starting the school year...and in other ways, so much has happened in my life that it seems like a lifetime. Downtown Abbey sounds awesome. I've got to go find that and add it to my queue. I need to get a WII so that I can watch it on my tv instead of my laptop. It would make it sooo much easier. Then I could visit blogs while I'm watching something. Have a great week, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. College kids can definitely sleep! Glad he was okay : )
    3 Mondays???? That sounds crazy! They go into mid June here so they're not even close.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An optional work day? I'm afraid that my choice would be "no work" ... ;-)

    Have a marvelous Monday evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was about to tell you that I like your new ticker counter!!!

    Glad you had a nice Easter. We spent ours with some new friends that moved from CO. I know what it is like to be without family on holidays so we had them over.

    What fun!

    I woke up at 8am this morning! I was sooo tired and we only did half day today.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three more instructional weeks!!!! I'm chomping at the bit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember my Freshman year in college my roommate and I regularly slept until about 2:00 pm on Saturdays. It wasn't intentional, we just didn't set our alarms. It was a bummer when it happened because we would sleep through lunch and not be able to eat at the cafeteria and we would sleep through part of the afternoon football game on campus. I guess I adjusted because after Freshman year I didn't do that. ~ I couldn't sleep that late now if I tried, but of course I couldn't stay up until 2:00 in the morning if I tried either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Three weeks till summer???? OY.
    Glad your Easter was nice.....and I wish I had gone to college so I could sleep till FOUR!!!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh, sleep from 2:00am until 4:00pm - how I miss those days :). Mondays are always hard for me because I so easily slip back into my night-owl ways over the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. summer break will be here before you know it!!!

    My son didn't go to college, but he had night owl tendencies so he would be ready to "party" while we were going to sleep; he was notorious for sleeping until early afternoon and he slept through everything, dog barking, vacuuming, etc!

    sounds like you had a nice weekend and Easter!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's really wrong that we both did laundry on Easter, lol!!! But you have to keep up with it all, huh?

    I'm glad you had a restful, long weekend! Now it's back to work! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. hope you're okay after the storms!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts