Wednesday Hodgepodge



1. Do you think the world became a more dangerous place on September 11, 2001 or did we just become more aware of the danger? How has your own life changed as a result of that day?
When I think back to that day, it seemed like life would never get back to "normal", and, maybe it's not the same as it was before 9/11; maybe we've just settled into a "new kind of normal".   The dangers were always there; it just came knocking on our front door when we weren't looking.  I remember being sooo mad at those people:  who did they think they were coming on our soil and doing something so unspeakable to us?
One good thing that came out of it is that people started getting their priorities back in order.  Family was back to being first.  I've heard of several people who were living away from family, who decided to move closer.  I'm one of them.  (It helped that I had a supportive husband who agreed to move to my hometown.)  We had the iodine tablets and a plan to meet up with the kids should anything happen.  The schools even had a plan; I'm not sure what the plan is here or at the universities where the 2 oldest boys are. For a long time I had an extra set of contacts in my pocketbook, and carried my glasses with me.  (When you're just about blind, you think about these things!)  

2. Did you think your parents were too strict when you were growing up? How about in hindsight?
Yep; I thought they were, but in hindsight...not nearly as strict as they could've been.  I have a high school friend whose parents were way more strict than mine:  there were about 7 or 8 years between her and her closest sibling, so they really kept her reined in.  

3. Share one random but candid fact about yourself.
I don't like the dark.  I think it's because I have a vivid imagination...I just don't like it.  I don't even like to go down to the basement to get the laundry out of the dryer after dark.  I'm just one big chicken!

4. Would your nearest and dearest describe you as simple or far too complicated?

5. What is your favorite stadium or carnival food?
You know it has to be something fried, right?  Like...funnel cakes!

6. Tornado, hurricane, earthquake...how many of these natural disasters have you experienced? Which event do you think would be the scariest?
We came close to experiencing a hurricane when we lived in SC, but it ended up making landfall farther north.  At a high school football game a few years ago, we came close to experiencing a tornado:  up close and personal.  Lesson learned:  when the announcer tells you to go inside the building, do it.  Don't think you're okay under the concrete stands.  We had an earth tremor in April 2010; I've actually felt a few in my lifetime, but nothing like what they felt in DC or what they have out west.    I think a tornado would be the worst...you don't really have much of a warning with it, and the devastation it brings is just unreal.  
  
7. Labor Day weekend is approaching so a work related question seems appropriate. Growing up, did your parents assign you regular chores? Were you paid for doing those chores? If you're a parent do you assign chores to your own children? Why or why not?
When I was growing up, we each had a chore that had to be done on Saturday before cartoons were turned on.  Mine was cleaning the bathroom.  To this day, I still hate cleaning the bathrooms.  We got a bit of an allowance, but I think I usually spent mine by walking down to a store and getting candy.  
Our kids weren't assigned chores, per se, other than keeping their rooms half-way decent and helping when  asked.  Looking back to when they were younger, I really should've asked a lot more than I did!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
After reading everybody's comments from yesterday's post, I realized it's hot everywhere.  From Sweet Tea's windshield cracking to my aunt bringing the animals into the garage at the risk of a fight, it's been one hot month.  To that I say:  Adios, August!

Now, high-tail it over to Joyce's to join in the hodgepodge!


14 comments:

  1. We are having fall like temps this week. I needed to put on a fleece to take the rubbish bin to the curb yesterday. I think it is supposed to warm up towards the weekend but it has been so nice. I think post-hurricane weather usually is.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So complicated or simple? I hate cleaning the bathrooms too and thankfully my husband does that chore. Gosh, I love that man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not going to miss August one bit either! And this heat can go right out with it! What was your answer to the complicated or simple question? I had to wash dishes and take out the trash every day. I hated it and I still do. Hubs takes out the trash because I just simply refuse to do it now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember getting paid for chores and spending it on something foolish.
    Unfortunately my spending habits have followed me my whole life.

    I am so very much looking forward to cooler weather.
    I am ready to get out my Fall/Winter clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree- this heat can take a hike...enough! We had chores growing up. Didn't get paid for them, no one did then - I didn't think about it one way or the other. I think my parents were neither too strict nor too lenient - I'm very grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I think you said it beautifully.

    2. Yep; not too bad actually, if anything too lenient

    3. I got nothing good right now, sorry.

    4. Simply complicated :)

    5. HOT DOGS!!!!

    6. Tornado - sorta
    Hurricane - sorta
    Earthquake - yep (one on the East coast and one on the West)

    7. Oh, how I still dislike unloading the dishwasher

    8. I'm loving the cooler weather we are starting to have in the evenings - too bad it's back to the 90s in a day or so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am starting to have a really hard time in the dark. Funnel cakes are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgot about funnel cakes-well, since I am going to a reunion in my small town with Labor Day celebrations-I am going to get one. Have you ever had one with fresh fruit on it-strawberries are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the first time ever that I've hated to see August go. We are looking forward to the fair this weekend and I'm grabbing a sausage grinder with peppers and onions and a tray of fries with vinegar. I hope it stays cool for it and I hope you cool off soon there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've gotta agree with you on the dark thing. I don't do scary movies...did enough when I was younger to scar me for life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Wednesday Hodgepodge!

    1. Your answer says it all beautifully.

    2. I thought mine were too strict. I still think they were much harder on me than my younger brothers!

    3. I can't sleep unless it is completely dark!

    4. Mine would say complicated (what was your answer?)

    5. Honestly, I have no idea! I don't go to many stadiums or carnivals.

    6. Hurricanes and earthquake, yes. Not a tornado, thank goodness.

    7. Regular chores, not paid. I'm the same way - my kids have regular chores which are part of being in this family. They do not get paid for them. They do get paid for special chores - like washing the car or the dog.

    8. I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, I do love funnel cakes!! And I'm GLAD to be done with August, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your answer to #3! And yep fried is the only way to go. I will however warn you away from fried Milky Ways. Sounds delicious, but is quite the gooey mess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are right about 9/11 and it helping to reorder priorities. It surely did here! I also agree with you about tornados...been there, done that...terrifying!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts