Cades Cove


Cades Cove is my "special place" in the Great Smoky Mountains.  If you've been reading my blog for any amount of time, you've already seen some pictures of it.  If you look at my header, you'll see it.  If you look at my button, you'll see it.  It's one of those places where it doesn't matter how many times I go, I have to take at least 20 pictures.  It's that pretty.
"The Cove" is described as an "open air museum".  Once home to the Cherokee Indians, then European descendants from Va., NC, and upper E. Tn., it is now dotted with former cabins/houses, as well as a couple of churches.  An audio tour is available to inform the visitors of its past history.  
Loop Road is an 11 mile, one way road that goes around the Cove.  Halfway through "the loop", there is a community built to demonstrate life as it was in The Cove.  There is a working grist mill, sorghum mill, a barn, a corn crib, smokehouse, blacksmith, as well as the Becky Cable House.  (The house was moved from its original location.)
There is a picnic area as well as a campground right before the beginning of Loop Road.  If you're planning on camping, be advised that it is somewhat primitive:  no electricity or water at the campsites.  There are toilet facilities, but that's it.  Loop Road is closed to car traffic on Wed. & Sat. mornings until 10:00 for the bicyclists to ride the loop without having to look out for cars.

Campground:
Deer in The Cove
The Oliver's Cabin:  This is actually the "honeymoon cabin" built for their son; the original cabin was the first cabin in the Smokies.
 Horses in the Cove
 Dan Lawson Place:  Pre-Civil War
 Cades Cove circa 1971

8 comments:

  1. We travel through a part of the Smokies on our way to Hilton Head and always think about adding some time to our travels to be able to spend a few days there. You're certainly giving us a list of things to see and do. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been there, but I've heard about it from a few other people. It does look pretty, and I like the idea of all the history there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loop Road.. yep... I'm already sick. Last time we went to Cades Cove, I have NEVER EVER EVERRRR been that car sick. I didn't know there were levels of car sickness. Thanks to CC, I know now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love Cades Cove. Hubby always brings his binoculars and I have the camera. We stop many, many times to look and take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Cades Coves...been there many times and each time I grow to love it more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Cove does look like a beautiful place. I'm fascinated by mountains--probably because I've seen so few of them! I also love historic places and love to visit areas like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful place! Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does look pretty and I like that they close the roads those days for the bicyclists to enjoy without having to fear for their lives!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts