Clingmans Dome


(If you're looking for Friday Fragments, click here)

Clingmans Dome circa 1971
I can remember going to Clingmans Dome as a child.  It is the highest point in the Great Smoky Mountains as well as Tennessee, and the 3rd  highest mountain east of the Mississippi.  The walk to the top is steep:  when I was little I remember thinking it took an eternity to get to the top.  In reality, it's only a 1/2 mile.  I haven't been since I was little, but the view was spectacular.
 That's me in the dark blue sweater when I was around 9.
 This picture was taken in March, 2010.
Road to Clingmans Dome (again in March, 2010):

Clingmans Dome also marks the highest point on the Appalachian Trail.  On a clear day, you can see for a 100 mile radius around the Great Smoky Mountains.  If you visit, make sure you prepare for the change in temperature; even on "hot" days, it may be cool at the observation tower.  Likewise, it may be sunny in the parking lot, but raining at the top.  For additional information, visit http://www.clingmansdome.com/.
Starry Sky Over Clingmans Dome

8 comments:

  1. We climbed up about 6-8 years ago and it liked to have killed me. haha But oh, when I got to the top, it was so worth it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clingman's Dome is familiar, not because I have been there, but because it is part of my family history. It's nice to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving these posts about The Smokey Mountains. Great photos and facts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. Visiting from the A-Z. I have never been to the Smokeys. Interesting to see the other side of the U.S. I live in a small town too...in eastern Washington.
    Shells–Tales–Sails

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from AtoZ
    I'm writing "Things My Husband Broken" atoz
    Kimberly
    http://AMomsPointOfView.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visiting from AtoZ
    I'm writing "Things My Husband Broken" atoz
    Kimberly
    http://AMomsPointOfView.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Think they built the new observation dome at the Grand Canyon based on this design?

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts