Newfound Gap


Newfound Gap is the area where Clingmans Dome is located; it is the center of the Great Smoky Mountains.  The road to Newfound Gap is a 2-lane road that is in good shape, albeit very windy, and is accessible from Gatlinburg, Tn., Cherokee, NC, or from Townsend, Tn. 
Prior to 1872, Indian Gap was thought to be the lowest pass through the area. Arnold Henry Guyot (a Swiss geographer) determined Newfound Gap to be lower that Indian Gap, and it was dubbed "new found gap", or Newfound Gap.
The Appalachian Trail crosses here, and the NC/Tn. state line is also here.  A couple of years ago (in late March), CH & I took a ride up to Newfound Gap.  The following are some pictures:
The State Line:
 The View:

 The Parking Lot  (Keep in mind this is THE SOUTH...IN LATE MARCH!)
 The road going to Newfound Gap



 A picture of one of my brothers & a couple of sisters, along with some cousins who were visiting from Tx. (circa 1968?-or before!)
If you're planning a trip to the Smokies, this is definitely one place that is not to be missed!

4 comments:

  1. What gorgeous views! I said it before and I'll say it again, you're giving me a lot places to add to our "must-see" list when we visit the Smokies/Blue Ridge Parkway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never forget when my parents moved to Lenoir City, TN. and my mom and I decided to drive to the Smokies and take what we thought was a little walk up to Clingman's Dome. By the time we reached the top, we were both huffing and puffing, but what a view!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to visit the Great Smoky Mountains one day. Loved the pics and info. Great blog. Stopped by to share some A to Z love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful view; not sure I could do the road though! How fun with that much snow in March!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts